Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's not so impossible.

I'm inspired by a new Sufjan Stevens song, "Impossible Soul." Although the theme of this song is not particularly light per se, I guarantee it will make you happy. Yes, I DID italicize "guarantee." Ok, brace yourself for this one; the song is 25 minutes long. Twenty-five WELL SPENT MINUTES. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may just be the most brilliant thing I've ever heard. Sufjan has been getting some flack for his new "style" of music... but my Lord, have you heard it? Enough said. Get those earphones in (currently listening via Bose), and give this a listen!

Within the first few minutes you will hear 
"Seems I got it wrong, I was chasing after something that was gone
To the black of night, now I know it's not what I wanted at all
You said something like, "All you want is all the world for yourself"
But all I want is the perfect love, though I know it's small, I want love for us all." 

And by minute 14 (yes, you really are only a few minutes over half way through), begins a set of lyrics that you CANNOT HELP but sing along with. Something along the lines of this 

"It's a long life only one last chance
couldn't get much better
do you wanna dance
it's a good life
better pinch yourself
is it possible? is it possible?

boy we can do much more together
better get a life get a life get a life

It's not so impossible!"

I omitted some of the repeated lines for the obvious reason of length. I have yet to listen to this song without bursting out in a full on geeked-out smile at this point in the song.

It ends on a much more somber note, however. I will not spoil the ending. Just listen, it's really the best thing you can do for yourself. I suggest headphones, coffee, and...dancing? Just like the iPod billboards. So don't forget to wear all black and have a hot pink or lime green wall available. ;)

All of this to say, I am completely in an inspired-wonderstruck-awe filled state of amazement. 

Conversely, this song does bring to the forefront of my mind the image of losing our way in life, loving selfishly, and whole-heartedly. In the words of Stevens himself, it is an "intense, emotional, psychotherapy experiment." But I think this discussion is for another night. There is too much to say right now, so...listen to the song! Get on board! Put down the pop rock, hard metal, mass produced radio-ready music and go out on a limb...
Photography by Meg Markey
All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment